[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: photos

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx, murk@xxxxxxxxxxx, almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 22:42:29 -0700 (PDT)

Dawnmarie,

  You've been getting some really nice gating shots. I'm with you about billing
won't do it. I give the pictures I take to Ruth and she takes it from there. I
do only the shows I want to which is about 3 or 4 a year. I am taking some
different classes now with the Nikon and bought a lens that will work inside a
building with little light. I am going to play with it this year at the
national. I played around with it at an indoor agility trial and it worked
really well It is heavy and I will need to set it up on a tripod to use it.
  They asked me to do the WDA photos again and I told them NO way. I never want
to be that cold and that wet again. I can't believe they are going back to
Purina. Farms. Are you putting in a bid for the GSDCA national?? I thought
about it but would need to buy too much equipment to do the work right.
lighting is expensive and the backdrop was about 800.00 Never did find out who
was supplying the signs with the club logo.If you had to provide it with the
GSDCA logo and then Purina's you are looking at a piece of change there.

  Hope to see you at the national we can do dolling camera and compare gating
shots.

  I'm with you about altering pictures if thats what they want then they don't
need to have dog shows we can just all grab a camera or a pencil and have an
art contest to see who can draw the best dog.

  Keep up the good work.

  Terry

WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx wrote:

Mo... you are so right, unfortunately. There is a great deal of lack of
respect for what we do... i do NOT alter photos, i will not even remove a
pole out of a photo, its something i vowed i would never do. i have lost
clients because they wanted me to do what the "other photographers do" which
was
alter the photo, add more pigment, fix a croup.. erase things.. darken,
lighten, sorry i wont do it... i make about 3.00 an hour doing a show.. not
including my expenses LOL i send my photos to be developed by a top shelf
guy, i dont use a Walmart or a CVS.. i cant afford to give discounts when i
have to upload the photos, proof them. if people order at the show, they
are getting a good deal and i cover some expenses..

i will not bill anyone, i have to get payment up front, i do not have the
time to chase people or bill them. i have a child, numerous dogs i am working
and going for titles with.. i cant do it!

i have only had one club presently trying to screw me over, i will never do
their show again after my years of loyalty and dedication, sorry, you dont do
that to people. every other club has been awesome!!

i wish i knew all these great names ya'll speak of! I know Ruth does a
nice job too!!! i love their herding pics.. wish i was able to get a pic at
last years NASS but we had Rain in my Dena's class!!!

Dawnmarie

In a message dated 7/5/2007 3:08:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
murk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Let me carry this a bit further. yes we are lucky to gave good
photographers in our next of the woods.......FOR SURE! But, there are TOO
many people that try to "abuse" those photograpers too!!!!!!!! There are
those that "sneak" behind them and take shots over their
shoulders.........there are those that take the Name and copyright off the
pictures and print copies.........there are those that order pictures and
tell the photographers to "bill" them (and take FOREVER to pay!) I could go
on and on here~! I know my daughter only charges $15 for an 8x10~! That is
NOTHING compared to what others charge..and STILL people do these things.
She is lucky more than not to break even at a show. Y'all better start
doing "right" by them or the good ones will be a thing of the past

photos & more.