[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: perception~long...usual for me

  • From: "Donna~laptop" <onaluzlead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <silvermoongsds@xxxxxxxxx>, <bliz1998@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:13:37 -0400

You know I have read your posts and others with great interest...it =
seemed
like it could be a positive way for experienced people to get insight on
inexperienced people and their thoughts. I have to say, I try to =
understand
every position when a situation occurs...this way I can try or at least =
think I do, to be fair with a solution.
I really do think that some people who insinuate that our breed is the =
most
political, is incorrect. It may seem easy for some to disagree with me
thinking that I am of a political nature being I am a partner of a =
handler.
That is not true, sometimes furthest from the truth. Sometimes we loose
hearing a judge say, "well you win a lot"... "You guys will win =
tomorrow" I
had started from the bottom, with limited help, but most from a good =
friend
and mentor Diane Piagentini. When I started, I had to go up to people, =
have
the gumption to go after what I wanted and pursue it.  Even when they =
told
me I wasn't athletic enough, didn't have the name, face, whatever. I was
told no one would wish being a handler on anyone including their worst
enemy...it still didn't matter, I did not whine and complain that no one
invited me, talked to me or helped me. I needed to ask...and that I did. =
was also told that I didn't have the right to an opinion because I knew
nothing...I kept quiet (believe it or not) and listened and sucked it =
all up
like a sponge. I didn't always like the people who "used" me, but I used
them back, even when they used me and told me it was because there was =
no
one else anyway. Yes it was hurtful and I sometimes wonder why I did it =
and
accepted it all...but I wanted to handle, I wanted to be good at what I =
did.
I did realize I would never be the next Jimmy or Sandy...at handling, =
but I
would be respectable. Something we should all achieve in anything we set =
out
to do...Diane helped me with tough lessons, on dogs, showing, breeding =
and
in turn, good life lessons. I had friends that didn't like her...as we =
all
have, people who are jealous of what she did succeed in doing (success =
could
be your worst enemy)...and I didn't care, they constantly tried to
discourage me and I told people I was friends with whom I chose...if =
they
didn't like it too bad. I continued in my path and finished dogs, bred =
dogs
and started to understand things more clearly.  She let me grow whether =
she
agreed or disagreed in my decisions. I figured out things that I wanted =
either have or be and stayed true to that. I had friends in other =
breeds,
they too had the same problems or decisions to make in other ways and =
they
still do. Even new people in other breeds face the same thing. Because =
of
the information highway and the open forums on lists, it's just =
discussed
more. WE all wanted to succeed. I also knew that I liked people and =
wanted
to help people. I did just that, when I felt qualified to do so and I =
still
do. Then there were times when those very people I helped turned on
me...again, life circle. They think I did or said something...I have =
learned
to just stick to what I know...it all comes back around...I really think
that most of us in GSD's are like our dogs, we can be aloof, we are =
loyal to
our beliefs (most of us) and we protect. I know sometimes I am standing
around a ring waiting for judging and there are other people I don't =
know
standing there too...I look at their faces and try to read their =
looks...I
try to understand and know whether they are watching for a good or not =
so
good reason. Sometime I think they look just plain snotty, but they are
nervous and again looks are deceiving. I wonder Do they want to be =
friendly
and/or meet someone to explain to them what is going on...and they too =
must
wonder by my expressions at the moment whether I am angry because I am
concentrating so much on what I should be doing or where Leslie is =
and/or
whether I should grab the next dog or whether a rep is watching me be
creatively encouraging to a dog in the ring <vbg>...I must look like a =
nut
or confused...then I make noises like someone with a case of Terets...I
smile when I remember I should "encourage not discourage" and then when =
it's
over I am rushing back to get the dogs back. If I get to return to the
ring...most people have walked away or to the next ring, like most local
spectators looking at the next breed. If they were brave enough to =
approach
me, it usually is at the wrong time and I tell them to give me a few =
minutes
and I will come back. IF I forget, and they re approach and I laugh and =
say
sorry, I forgot...I know they must be serious. I know we give new people =
the
time if asked and try to be good GSD people...but I do not understand =
how
people can constantly blame our declining entries on so many things, =
besides
what is going on right in front of their eyes. Times change, period. I =
don't
think it's any one thing personally...I think that we all need to be =
nicer
and try to make sure that we don't let new people slip through and if we
encourage new people not fluff their ideas of the game...it's hard, it's
rough and it's expensive. But so is Nascar and the horse game, and they =
are
still thriving sports.  If you are truly interested in
breeding/showing/handling whatever in this sport, find someone or a team
that you really think you identify with and be persistent...most of the
time, we are trying to please so many clients and people that we don't
realize there are others that may need or want help. We don't come with
crystal balls. If we can't give time, most of the time, we re direct =
someone
to someone who can...many friendships start that way...be more positive.
Just my take on it...I would love to hear from others with some history =
in
this breed and hear how "easy" it was for them...
Donna Calabrese