[ SHOWGSD-L ] our great breed

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:51:25 -0700 (PDT)

I have a friend who asked me to get to know her 3 over sized GSD's so her pet
sitting friend has a back up to call on.  I have not met these dogs before
yesterday.  Went over, one was a bit spooky, but settled down.  My friend
admits
she does not socialize them enough.

But they were just fine after just a few minutes.

Today I let myself in.  Now there was a lot going on, the primary pet sitter
was
there with her daughter, they are friends of the owner.  And doggy dinner was
being made.  Nonetheless we all know what a GSD will do when there is an
intruder.

I could have been furniture walking in.  I got almost no reaction at all.  The
male finally came over to see what was in my hand, a treat he thought was
useless.  And then the dinner went down.  Now they all have their own way of
eating,  The senior bitch eats a few bites and fusses at a toy.  The other
bitch
was in her run, open door, barking at her brother that he'd better not come
near.  He was ignoring his food.  I picked up his bowl and pretended to eat his
food.  He finished dinner.  The senior bitch ate.  The other bitch continued to
complain until I verbally corrected her.  She ate.  When all were done I picked
up their bowls, right in front of all of them.  No reaction.

They know so much, they get why I am now part of the pack and that I am to be
obeyed, even though they are not trained much.  All are over 7, so it should
have been a bigger issue getting to know me, not being socialized and all.  But
I am already part of the pack because they know I can only help.

I so love these dogs.  I feel so safe with mine, both that they will protect me
and that they will be social as expected.

sheila