[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: on hip X-rays

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:52:32 -0800 (PST)

I completely agree, have a friend with a large kennel in Tennessee. Damn Vet up
there took x-rays 3 times and could not get OFA approval; had her visit my Vet,
he took the X rays, OFA Excellent. X-rays are a science and Art and my Vet is
Michealangelo. Morgan
Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  what an excellent post --
thanks for sending it.
Ruth
Peggy
wrote: Another list I'm on has been discussing hip X-rays and OFA ratings. One
of
the women on the list works for
an orthopedic surgeon (human), and also has a good relationship with one of
the vets in her area who does a
lot of hip x-rays, most of which pass with a Good rating.
She sent the following post to that list this morning:

I'm shocked over and over at how many vets do not understand (or the tech)
how to line up a dog for a Hip Xray, and how many xrays are taken
incorrectly
and sent in. OFA reads the film in front of them. They do reject films
that
are simply too bad to read, but my ortho who works with OFA indicated they
rate what is sent in most of the time and probably 80% of the films are
somewhat off center.

He reads film often times to help decide if the film was taken correctly. I
have gotten to be pretty good at reading an xray and I can see pretty fast
if
that dog was lined up. I have 1 OFA Fair and 2 OFA Goods (My OFA boy who
is
Fair has 6 offspring rated from various vets on the West coast, all OFA
Good) When he was 4 and neutered they captured a straight film and I had
him
rated without updated his listing a few years back, he received a Good.
Not
that a Fair can't produce a lot of OFA Goods...what I did was, I thought he
was
OFA Fair, so I asked that the bitches be OFA Good or better (with 1
exception, he bred to 1 Fair) What I asked to see along with the rating
was film or
digital scan, I like to see how good the girls hip sockets are. I'm not as
concerned with a Fair as I am with a weak socket, socket conformation is
important.
Read enough xrays and you appreciate the good points on some.. I organize
the xrays at work, foot and ankle...and after reading 1000's of xrays with
him, you can really spot things fast.

I firmly believe many of the OFA Fairs are probably Goods, they're just
taken by mediocre technicians....Some dysplasia or subluxation are simply
wrong.
Twisting or leaning a dog can make a even a great dog look dysplastic. You
can create shadows, space that is or isn't there, same way If I take a
human
xray incorrectly I can make shadows that look like "things" when there not
really there.. My doc will hand them back and have us do them again.. You
need
to be good at this so you don't shoot the patient so many times.. Same with
dogs.

Find a competent vet, or you may be spaying and neutering healthy dogs.

Morgan and His Angels
  Precious, OFA
  Princess, CGC, TDI, GSDCA Health Award
  "RAW" fed, No Vaccinations