[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: old days of breeding

  • From: Linda <stjamesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 12:01:07 -0400

I have still never used progesterone testing on any of my girls.  If I am
traveling I rely on a smear.  My vets have never steered me wrong.  The only
miss was when I left a girl with someone on a Saturday and the vet said her
prime days were Sunday and Monday.  They did not take her for AI until
Wednesday.  That was the third miss with that girl and I never tried again.  I
think she had her grandmother's genes and she was not able to be bred until she
was 6!

With my Tibetan Spaniels, I have mostly relied on the dogs to let me know and
have gotten by frequently on just one breeding.  I've only had one accidental
breeding in almost 30 years.  Tibetan Spaniels stay in season for at least 4
weeks and you really have to add a few days of protection after that.  I did
not know that and let a girl loose on her 28th day.  My male tied her and she
had 3 puppies.  In the long run, I think it was a good thing for her to have
that early litter as she was small.  She whelped 3 more litters with no
problems and she was pushing 6 when she had her last one.  Out of her 4 litters
she has 8 champions.

I have a good friend who can do AIs if the dogs cannot accomplish a natural
breeding.  If I can't get it done at home, I just call her and pack them up for
a trip!

My most favorite story of GSD breeding was the time I had to trick a bitch.
She was experienced and belonged to someone else.  He was using my
inexperienced male.  Oh, boy, did she know that was true!  I brought him out to
meet her and she did not even act like she was in season.  She did not flirt or
flag or anything!  So I took him back inside and brought out his half brother.
They looked very similar.  The half brother had produced several litters and as
soon as she saw him she turned it on!  Then I knew she was ready, so I switched
dogs on her again.  She was still wild for the other one and started flirting
with Gus.  When she did that he had her tied in a matter of minutes.   That
litter was born during Hurricane Hugo!

Linda Hendrix
Goose Creek, SC

http://showgsd.org/mail.html