[ SHOWGSD-L ] observations, money and membership

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 20:30:30 +0000 (UTC)

I read with interest Evan's "take" on the Board meeting and the song MOney,
money money..comes to mind. Based on Evans' writing one thing is glaring
evident, somethings just don't change. If we desire to move forward, then we
need to stop trying to incorporate the same old people on "new" committees. The
same old people will do the same old job, which got us where we are currently
at. I believe strongly that you are often only as good as who you surround
yourself with. I think there is a prevailing attitude within the Board that of
the nearly 3000 members only a certain politically "connected" few are
qualified to serve. This tells me that qualifications have nothing to do with
service. If it is necessary to form yet another( yawn) committee, then by all
means seek out people that have a financial background, who have proved over
the years they know how to manage finances and make smart business choices. I
ask the list..of the board members how many would you ask to help you manage
your personal finances?? If you would not seek their advice, then why should
they run the finances of the club? the club money IS YOUR MONEY and you should
be concerned about who is managing it! Too many unqualified people wanting to
be in "charge" of the money and the board suggesting that unqualified people be
given the responsibility to manage the clubs money should send up a red flag.
Hell some of these people can't even manage their own money, yet they want to
take care of yours!!! for the record, we already have too many committees..we
have committees to over see committees and most of the board serve on multiple
committees or chairs the committees.Every time you put a board member on a
committee, that is one less spot that could be filled with "new brain power."
If you aren't willing to tap into new brain power, then quit making more stupid
committees.

Membership and exhibitors are declining in OUR BREED..not goldens, not labs,
not poms, not poodles and not many others. WHY? We cannot continue to blame the
economy, that affects everyone in other breeds as well. Some of the breeds I
have cited also rely on the services of a pro handler..so that is not the
reason. We cannot blame working dogs versus conformation dogs, as labs,
setters, beagles, etc all have a "field" variety of the breed and the
conformation variety, yet conformation entries remain relatively stable. Yes we
have lost some breeders/exhibitors to health issues and even death, but other
breed clubs are affected the same, yet they manage to replenish and maintain
stability. What is making us different..what is driving many away? Some that
used to be involved with our breed are still exhibiting, but are doing so with
different breeds..why? Obviously these people still have an interest in
showing..but just not GSD's..why? and why are they getting more enjoyment from
showing other breeds.

One of the few benefits of membership had been the Review. The Review is laden
with errors. Wrong pictures with incorrect names have come to be expected every
month and have become the norm. Many feel they need to seek different designers
to lay their ads out and get them camera ready, because the fear the job will
not be done correctly by the Review staff. This  is more out of pocket expense
for the advertiser. A lack in confidence in the publication translates into
less people advertising, which translates into less revenue. In the real world
the Editors job would be hanging in the balance as it should be. This is not a
personal attack against the editor..this is a business statement of fact. the
GSDCA needs to decide if it wants to be a social club, or conduct itself as a
business organization. If the want to be the later, then tough and sometimes
unpopular decisions( for some) have to be made. C