[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: now kibble

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Rikers123@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:37:08 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/2007 10:11:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Rikers123@xxxxxxx writes:
TV  dinners and McDonald's came to our attention around 1950/1960's,
certainly not a big influence, but convenience foods became  available.
Kibble, while actually invented in the 1890's, didn't  really become part of
dog's diet until the  1950/1960's.

Denise  Groenewald

Aren't dogs wonderfully adaptive?  My grandfather raised English  Setters
("gentelman's hunting dogs") to supplement the family income during the
depression.  The dogs ate what the family ate, and some nights all the dogs
got was
crusts of bread w/ starchy potato water poured over.  They were  fit, glorious
shiny things, the picture of health (and I have the photos to  prove it)!

The oldest dog I've ever had (16?) ate something that looked like plastic
ground meat, chock full of red dye I'm sure, that came in the shape of
hamburgers, individually wrapped in more plastic.  At some point, they  started
putting yellow-orange "cheese" in the burgers. Oh yeah, in those days we
didn't
have Frontline or Interceptor either, and every year, this gal went in  for a
"puppy" booster since we'd never heard of compromised immune systems and
over-vaccination.

If you want to drive yourself nuts, open any pet care catalog and review  the
thousands (literally) of supplements.  There are joint supplements,  immune
system boosting supplements, coat supplements, stuff for anti-shedding,  coat
growing supplements, anti-oxident, aging supplements, etc. etc., and now  the
latest crop have to do with feeding raw; supplements to making sure there is  a
balanced diet...wow...mind boggling.

Take just joint supplements...OMG the choices!  We have HA (which I  like
actually, having had good results with the horses), glucosmaine,  choindroiten,
shark cartilage, (silly question, are there that many sharks out  there being
processed for dog supplements????), perna muscle, cetyl  myristoleate, yucca
root, alfalfa, devil's claw (?????), nettle  leaf,  bromelain....

I'm wondering how I got a dog to 16 with no issues eating semi-moist  plastic
looking hamburger meat.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds