[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: -now inbreeding or outcrosses

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kate Syssoloff" <rockannand@xxxxxxx>, <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <GSD0110@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ANN SCHULTZ" <EDANGSD@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:56:40 -0800

I don't think we can blame the outcross stud either.   Some dogs from across
the ocean  or across
the U.S. and not related at all carry the same genetic flaw we might be trying
to rid ourselves of
plus carry something totally new to us.    There is no guarantee with any
breeding.    Breeders
have to come from "tough stock"  themselves.  <G>
Unfortunately there is no safety net!!

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

      It's all a crap shoot, even when you know the lines.  I bred my first
homebred bitch, Ch Awlful Good of Edan CD, TC ROM four times. The first and
second litter were outcrosses, the last two, she was bred to her grandson. The
first outcross produced no problems, nothing. Everything lived to be old old
old. The 2nd litter to a Select Champion produced four puppies, two with bad
elbows, two with bad hips. If I had gotten that in her first litter, I would
never had bred her again.  Her last two litters produced no problems. She was
the dam of three ROM daughters, none of whom ever produced a bad elbow and
quite a few were x-rayed.
      She also lived to be fourteen.
      Ann Home of Sel Ex # 6 Ch Maxwell, Sel Ex Ch Gilley and #1 Dam Muggles -
owner/breeder of 69 champions and 19 ROMs

----- Original Message ----- From: Kate Syssoloff
        -faults in an outcross?   Dogs don't have to be related to carry the
same problem!
        You can double up on the same genetic problems when outcrossing.....and
as with doubling

        What's interesting, is that the in-breeding that you have done.... this
way.... that way...  resulting is fine animals (not doubling up on illness,
faults or poor temperament)....  Can go to hell in a hand basket when
outcrossing.  Where the hell did the poor trait come from if it wasn't rearing
it's ugly head in all the fine in-bred litters you did?   Would the out-cross
stud be dominant for this poor trait, then?   This is a fun topic/
        Kate