[ SHOWGSD-L ]

  • From: "Kris Christian" <Kris.Christian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:44:18 -0800

Hi,

Jeff Pyle asked about airline fees to get to Beaumont.

Here is what I discovered in prepping for this year for travel from
Oregon:

*         Alaska had the best pricing for dogs as excess baggage- $100
each way (but no flight from Portland)  so $200 total.

*         Continental had a direct flight to Houston but the price for
the dog "varied" and they would not commit. Instead they offered and
"estimate" ranging between $350 to $500 each way, so $700 to $1000
total.

*         American didn't want my dog.

*         Delta didn't want my dog.

*         Southwest didn't want my dog.

*         United (with whom I have Premier Status) was $250 each way and
ended up charging me $250 outbound and $200 coming home, so a total of
$450. The flight had a connection in Denver. So four total segments.
They had excellent service and a really nice feature (I think it is new
since I last flew United with a dog.) of bringing me a tear off tag from
her kennel once she was on board prior to departure. Two thumbs up!

For Ohio I plan to use United again flying into Chicago and either
driving from O'Hare to Columbus or connecting through by plane. If
someone wants to start making plans now and meet me in Chicago I would
love to share a car for the week!

I agree with Evan...Beaumont may have been a disaster zone...but this
was the best National I attended this year and it was GREAT to meet old
friends and make new ones!!!

Cheers,

Kris

Kris Christian