[ SHOWGSD-L ]

  • From: "Castle Kennels, Ltd." <castlegsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:21:35 -0500

This time I thought it would be different.  I had time to prepare myself.
Time since February when she suffered a stroke to get used to the idea that
her days were numbered.  At the age of 13 ½, each day is a gift.  But I
guess no matter how many you lose and no matter how much you expect the
inevitable, you never are ready to say goodbye.

Yesterday, at 3:15 in the afternoon, with her head on the worn-out teddy
bear that she always slept with, my old girl, my Guinevere, left me to be
with her brother, Merlin, and her daughter, Victoria.  That wrenching pain
of loss has consumed my every minute since I kissed her for the last time.

Guinevere was the first puppy I ever delivered.  I held her in my hands when
she breathed her first breath and held her close to my heart when she took
her last.  She had a beautiful black and red coat with not one gray hair.  I
never showed her in conformation though looking back, I should have.  I
didn?t know much about showing dogs when I had that first litter.  But she
was a Champion through and through with super intelligence and a temperament
to die for.  Never during her 13 ½ years of life did I ever hear her growl.

Not only did she love and care for her own puppies but she fell naturally
into the role of grandmother carefully cleaning and caring for the little
ones in the whelping box and out in the yard when the mothers were off
taking a nap somewhere.  In the last few years she became known as ?Grammy?.

She only had three litters and out of the last one, she gave me my first
champion, CH Castle?s Queen Victoria RN.  Guinevere was full of life and
gave me years of joy and love.  She taught me all about chewing furniture
and oriental rugs and how to forgive and prevent negative puppy behavior.

She loved tennis balls but soon locked onto the big blue Jolly Ball.  Just a
few days ago, she was chasing the Jolly Ball down the hill with her young
grand daughter, Cameo.  Her old legs were wobbly, she swayed from side to
side while trying to maintain her balance, but her eyes were bright with
excitement and she was happy.

This morning I walked alone in the yard where she grew up and played.  I saw
the blue Jolly Ball at the bottom of the hill.  My breath seemed to stop.  I
looked up to the top of the hill where she loved to lie while looking down
at her domain. She was not there.

 When I reached my Memory Garden, there was no stopping the tears.  Last
week when I was kneeling down weeding, she came up beside me and put her
nose against my cheek.  I looked up at her and her beautiful brown eyes
seemed to say, ?Will you remember me??  There, on the rose bush I planted
this summer, were two beautiful white roses in full bloom and one white rose
bud just starting to open.  Merlin and Victoria had welcomed Guinevere to
the garden over the Rainbow Bridge.

Goodbye, Grammy, my precious Castle?s Queen Guinevere CD, TT, OFA.  Go play
now with your Mom, Deja Vu, your brother Merlin, and your little girl,
Vickie.  You had a wonderful life here on earth.  You were a true gift from
God.

And today, I will endure the pain because I had the love.

Pat

Castle Kennels, Ltd.

Where Shepherds of Distinction Reign

www.castlekennels.com