[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: no more peeing in house

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dan-ann@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 07:05:20 -0800 (PST)

I wish to echo Sally's last words. If you cannot find a behavioral reason for a
change in behavior, look for a health trigger.
One of our dogs was fine and then over about 3 months was becoming aggressive,
I neutered him hoping it was his sister's heat and whelp that had caused it.  I
also had a mole removed.  The "mole" as it turned out, had metastasized from
just skin cancer to cancer in the general area, it was not apparent at the
neutering, but the wounds from surgery never healed, and after 6 weeks of
struggle with the open wounds, xray was clear and he was put down.

 As a trainer I do ask the history of behavior.  I have a local GSD owner who
has many questions, but has never actually hired me.

He said his bitch in the past month has become aggressive, but she is trained
and socialized often.  As we talked and talked, it came out that this started
right after her last vet visit and that she had had shots.

I said go back to the vet and see how she responds to the office itself, if her
response is negative, it is likely that she has decided that all people are
vets trying to give her shots, and one must have hit a nerve and hurt her a
bit, she can be trained out of this.  However, I told him if she behaves as she
has in the past to the clinic, there is something wrong, either the shots have
caused a problem or something else went wrong, either at the vet's or shortly
after.

I have not heard back yet, but I know I will.
sheila