[ SHOWGSD-L ] newbies

  • From: MAJTEACH@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:56:52 EDT

I still remember my first show as the proud owner of a "show" dog.   She did
not turn out to be a show dog, but ....  I was doubling her, and  overheard
two women state that the puppy should never have been in a show  ring.  They
said she was "ugly."  I doubt they knew her NEWBIE owner  was right behind
them.

She was not shown, but gave me CH Eclipse's Rachel Carson and my Greta was
the love of my life.  I lost her at a little over a two years.  In the  time
frame between another person told me, without my asking, that she was  ugly.
She was dead two months later.

This is the "bad" side, but there is a good.

My first true show dog was sold to me by the Martellos.  They trusted  me, a
newbie, with a male that had both majors.  His first show, with me, I  was
clueless.  (No comment Debbie )  I had no idea how to  double him.  Next thing
know Sheryl Brockett ran over, grabbed me, and  started physically moving me
where I belonged.  I learned a lot.

I know that Frank and Carolyn got some "grief" for selling me this dog, but
I took a champion back to their club's show the next year.  The dog they  sold
this newbie is Ch Mar Haven's Elite Guard and the sire of GV Ch Mar Haven's
And The Beat Goes On.

My point.... at the next show, go up to someone new and say 'Hi."   Make them
feel welcome.  I count myself in this and will make a point to  talk to
someone new at each show.  Next, do not be afraid of selling a good  dog to
someone
new to the game.  You just may end up with a dog show junkie  like me.

Look around at the next show.  There are not a lot of young faces, or  new
"old" faces.  If we do not do something to encourage......there will be  no
shows.

JMHO

Colette