[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: newbie question - "agents"

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:19:20 -0500

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:43:13 -0700, "L. Hartten"
<hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:=20

>Why do a much higher percentage of GSDs have agents
>than, say, English Setters?

GSDs have, traditionally, always been a "handler" breed, while
English setters never have... until now, anyway.  :(

I've been away from the setter-showing world for many years.
But in recent chats with old and very dear breeder friends, it
seems that, more and more, you need a handler to win -- even
with a *very* good dog. Sad really... It used to be that a
very novice owner-handler could walk into the show ring with a
good, sound, typey, properly-groomed English setter and beat
the handlers. Unfortunately, this no longer seems to be the
case, even with longtime owner/breeder/handlers.

Another (to me, anyway) unfortunate development in ESs is the
apparent need for a "brand name dog" in order to do any real
winning in the show ring. <sigh> One would think that the idea
of breed competition is NOT necessarily to pick good future
breeding stock anymore. If this is the case, then why doesn't
AKC allow neutered dogs to compete in conformation classes???
After all... If conformation has become all about the big win,
then dogs really don't need working "parts." Think about it.

* * * * *
Karen C.
kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

They can have my dogs...
        ...when they pry the leads from my cold, dead hand!!!