[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: new point schedules have been posted...

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 17:20:32 -0700 (PDT)

You live in the are that has the highest point schedule for next year.
That means you guys have had more majors than the rest of the country.

It is fine to suggest that the clubs provide lots and lots of conveniences but
the entries do not pay the bills. Just like we provided obedience trials for
years when they did not pay the bills, we are now providing 2 conformation
shows a year and clustering them so that exhibitors have a chance for 4 sets of
points on one weekend, although they do not pay their bills.

"Good Judges" are defined differently by different exhibitors. So a club can
only do the best they can. Clubs doing the best to maintain shows rather than
just declaring the breed classes at an all-breed "their" show are doing more
than is required.  Exhibitors also have a duty if they want to maintain events.
They have to enter. Some exhibitors travel a distance but only enter part of
the shows that weekend. Your expenses are the same but the club does not get
that additional entry fee. You might not like the specific judge and might not
show, but if you are truly supporting the club that provides the large grassy
rings, then enter all shows on that weekend. You want the clubs to support you
- you also need to support the club.

Not showing at specialties like Sacramento will change things - but maybe it
will actually bring back a few owner handlers and dogs that can handle small as
well as large rings. The breeds that do well are those where the owner can
enjoy handling his own dog rather than just writing checks. It is different -
but I am not convinced that it is necessarily worse. Good dogs - truly good
dogs - can be shown in many venues and will win on quality. It is only the ones
that need to race to cover faults that can't handle an indoor ring. We have
fewer handlers - fewer exhibitors. Maybe going back to a more realistic style
of showing will bring in more owner handlers. Maybe fewer GSD exhibitors would
be leaving to show other breeds that they can handle. And that exodus has
nothing to do with lack of grassy rings and everything to do with the state of
dog shows.

You know how I loved the specialties we used to have. But I am willing to adapt
to make shows continue.

Ruth

  From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] new point schedules have been posted...
  effective May 16, 2012
  ttp://www.showdays.info/pointcnt.php?code=Index&yr12&brnr6
  Peggy

is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the original author
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

VISIT OUR WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org ;