[ SHOWGSD-L ] new dog fighting bill.......a message from Barbara Boxer

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd list <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:21:22 -0400

shared by Peggy

Dear Friends:

I am pleased to let you know that I am an original cosponsor of new
legislation intended to curtail the inhumane practice of dogfighting.
Like so many Americans, I have been sickened to hear recent news about
this practice.

Senator John Kerry has introduced legislation to amend the Animal
Welfare Act, making four upgrades to the existing federal dogfighting
laws.  It removes an existing requirement that prosecutors and agents
prove that a dog crossed state lines to fight.  It also makes it a
federal offense to be a spectator at a dogfight.
Senator Kerryâ*^(TM)s legislation also makes dog fighting less lucrative
by making it a crime to buy, sell, transport, train, or possess fighting
dogs.  And finally, it enhances penalties for dogfighting to a five year
prison sentence from the current three-year penalty. Importantly, this
legislation also does not override any state or local law so that local
jurisdictions can impose even tougher laws.

This federal ban on dogfighting is long overdue.  There is no redeeming
value in watching animals tear each other apart.  In fact, it is a
blight on our society.  I am proud to support this legislation and hope
to see it become law in the near future.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

For more information on Senator Boxer's record and other information,
please go to: <http://www.boxer.senate.gov/>http://www.boxer.senate.gov