[ SHOWGSD-L ] need to change temperament?

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 07:51:54 -0700 (PDT)

These dogs were originally developed to herd sheep and protect.  The times they
are a changn'.  Our economic and social needs change over time.  Many dogs no
longer get anywhere near their original job.  Seen any ratters ratting lately?
How about Golden's hunting in the condos where they live?

  Our dogs have been split into the true working protection dogs and all the
rest.  Herding does not require an aloof attitude, a herder could be as soft
and loving as a lap dog, it does not affect the ability to herd.  But
protection work requires a temperament that would meet our Standard or be
aggressive even.

  No, we cannot have this type of dog raised with children, maybe the dog's
personal pack kids would be just fine, but bringing their friends over could be
a problem.  Having a backyard cookout would be impossible without confining the
dog.

  Maybe we do need to consider where our pets go as part of what a correct
temperament should be today.

  When we do our annual cookout for my husband department, we put our dogs
away.  We have several guests every year who are terrified of all dogs, and my
big ones are enough to cause heart attacks.  I make a point of bringing my dogs
out, one at a time, on lead, to meet the guests, but I ask before aproaching
every person.

  My club meetings are mostly at my house.  The dogs are locked up until every
is in and sitting, so that Dexter's barking is not so scary.  He is not only
least likely to bite, but frankly, I don't trust him to protect, just to look
like he can.  What a wuss he is, but I love him.  Once my club members are
sitting the dogs come out sniff bark and run around for a few and then they do
what they are eithe expected to do or if I must I will tell them to settle down
and let us conduct our meeting.

  It is a joy to me to have my dogs out while we meet. It is also fun to watch
how my fellow members enter my house.  Experienced GSD folk who know better
than to just walk in, they wait for me to let them in, and then they check to
see of the dogs are out.  It is the way we should all behave around this breed.

  When I have uninvited knocks on the door, boy do the dogs sound off!!!!!  I
don't have a working doorbell, don't need one.  People who are not warned that
there are dogs here are always 20 feet back from the door when I open it.  I
feel safe, even if it is just Dexter at home.

  I want people who have not met my dogs to fear them. I am small and some
think I am very cute, I don't feel safe without my GSD's to take care of me.  I
also do not leave my boys home alone EVER. They have a dog to watch over them
or they are not alone.

  I don't use the alarm unless I leave the house completely empty.  The dogs
just set it off anyway.

  But we need to think about this.  The times they are a changn', and our dogs
need to change to fit the times.
  sheila

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's