[ SHOWGSD-L ] need suggestions for sons dog with bad hip

  • From: "Mary-Anne" <versatilegsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ShowGSD-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <betsy1r@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:19:44 -0500

I have been giving my girl Glucosamine & Chondroitin Sulfate for the past
two years.  It has GREATLY aided her mobility.  She was diagnosed with
arthritis and spondylosis at the ages of 3 and 4.  I buy the human grade at
Costco and she gets two capsules opened over her food every meal (2 x day).
The capsule dosage is 900mg.    I pay $25.00Cdn for 240 capsules.  I also
allow her to swim as often as possible as the non-weight bearing exercise
seems to loosen her up.  While she does play with my younger boy, her major
exercise is off leash walks where she can set her own pace at least 3 times
a week (by a walk, I mean an hour long stroll through the bush).  If she has
a very painful day or I expect her to go in and out of the motorhome while
travelling, she gets 1/4 Deramaxx per day for the duration of the trip.  As
soon as we're home, I stop it as it is very hard on her liver.
She is doing better now at the age of 8.5 than she has in years.  If I could
get her allergies under control, she'd be a very happy camper.
/)  (\
  . .
 \o/
Mary-Anne
It is often the inherent tending instinct (of a dog) who cannot tend sheep
(for a living), that makes the shepherd dog take care of other living
beings...to gather them together and to fend for them, although often
according to his own private interpretation!" ~ Capt. Max v Stephanitz