[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: need suggestions for sons dog with bad hip

  • From: Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 05:15:03 -0800 (PST)

One thing I did when Tory had a pinched disk in his back was to go to a canine
accupuncturist.  This process was amazing and the vet had a number of hip
patients that showed remarkable recovery.  This same vet is nationally known
for her work in stem cell research where she has placed good cells into the hip
area has had remarkable success!  Dogs that could hardly walk were out playing
frisbee like young pups!  The accupuncture was not that expensive at all and
totally healed Tory's back pain.  I would not hesitate to use this.  Cynthia
From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx <Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx>
To: betsy1r@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2009, 11:25 PM

In a message dated 11/10/2009 9:26:34 P.M. Central Standard Time,
betsy1r@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
SO...my question is...can 'we' give Glucosamine/MSM   made for
humans...to our dogs?  I would say yes, but I want to  be sure before I
tell him anything.  I would guess it depends  on the weight of the dog
for dosage? (Shema weighs about 40  lbs?).

Better to use the glucosamine/chondroitin with MSM.   They need the first 2
the most, but the MSM is also good.   A  dog can take 2 a day of the combo
550G/350-400C.   Also be sure  the dog is taking vitamin E with
selenium.......it is a natural anti  inflammatory.
Vitamin C....1000 daily will also help.
Please don't let his vet opt for Rimadyl for pain........way  too many long
term side effects.

Metacam is a good analgesic/anti inflammatory available from  his vet.
I only use weight to size dosing for 1 week and within 2  weeks you can
have the dog
on 1/2 the amount recommended with great results.  I  used this on a bitch
with a cracked elbow (she fell on ice) for over 9  years with no side
effects.
Be sure the dog exercises enough to maintain elasticity in  white tissue
and strong long muscles.

Molly

Trillia German Shepherds  since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont  (recording secretary), Life member
CKC
"We find comfort among those who  agree with us - growth among those who
don't".
..Frank A  Clark

Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.