[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: need suggestions for sons dog with bad hip

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: betsy1r@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:25:47 EST

In a message dated 11/10/2009 9:26:34 P.M. Central Standard Time,
betsy1r@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
SO...my question is...can 'we' give Glucosamine/MSM   made for
humans...to our dogs?  I would say yes, but I want to  be sure before I
tell him anything.  I would guess it depends  on the weight of the dog
for dosage? (Shema weighs about 40  lbs?).

Better to use the glucosamine/chondroitin with MSM.   They need the first 2
the most, but the MSM is also good.   A  dog can take 2 a day of the combo
550G/350-400C.   Also be sure  the dog is taking vitamin E with
selenium.......it is a natural anti  inflammatory.
Vitamin C....1000 daily will also help.
Please don't let his vet opt for Rimadyl for pain........way  too many long
term side effects.

Metacam is a good analgesic/anti inflammatory available from  his vet.
I only use weight to size dosing for 1 week and within 2  weeks you can
have the dog
on 1/2 the amount recommended with great results.  I  used this on a bitch
with a cracked elbow (she fell on ice) for over 9  years with no side
effects.
Be sure the dog exercises enough to maintain elasticity in  white tissue
and strong long muscles.

Molly

Trillia German Shepherds  since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont  (recording secretary), Life member
CKC
"We find comfort among those who  agree with us - growth among those who
don't".
..Frank A  Clark