[ SHOWGSD-L ] need suggestions for sons dog with bad hip

  • From: Betsy Reinier <betsy1r@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: New dog list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:26:16 -0800

Hi all,

My son John, called me earlier and was upset because his Vet said
Shema  has hip dysplashia  (SP) . Shema is a  4 year old female mixed
breed.   John said to me, "I thought only purebred dogs get this."  I
told him that any dog can get it.

John said that Shema has been favoring one of her back legs, but it
wasn't bad, but he decided to take her to the Vet for an X-ray. The Vet
said Shema has HD, and that he is going to prescribe some pills for the
dog to take. The Vet told John that Shema still has a few more good
years before the arthritis will set in.

John  said  he takes Glucosamine with MSM (capsule) for himself, and
wanted to know if he could give this to his dog. I said I'd ask the
list;  as I bought some liver flavored 'hip pills' for Jerry that was
made for dogs, which cost $10.00 more than the bottle I bought for
myself.  I too, was wondering the same thing.

SO...my question is...can 'we' give Glucosamine/MSM  made for
humans...to our dogs?  I would say yes, but I want to be sure before I
tell him anything.  I would guess it depends on the weight of the dog
for dosage? (Shema weighs about 40 lbs?).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Betsy Reinier

http://www.dogspoiler.com
http://www.doggyknows.com