[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: need early spay/neuter info

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:04:52 -0700 (PDT)

Sad but true.  While such an early spay neuter is bad for the dog's
development, at least one can be certain that there will be no unwanted babies.
 I know that.  I do my best to educate all I meet about how to make this
decision.  Men don't want to cut their boy dogs, OMG!!!!  Women don't realize
that a girl will either have her yard broken into, or that she will want to get
out and go find a boy.  And worse I have seen people who want "just one litter"
and cannot deal with the consequences.
  sheila
Diane Roberts <dianeroberts.gsd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  The only problem with that is people will not come back with the animals at 4
or 6 months then they are in heat and then you have more babies.

I did not used to spay/neuter rescue babies and had it as part of the contract
that they bring the dog to one of my vets by 6 months and 1 in 5 had moved,
changed phone # or e-mail, etc. I had to hunt to find them and there were some
that I was never able to trace down; then there were puppies out there that
would be coming of breeding age.

For rescues I do a 4 page application, 2 page contract, reference checks and a
home check before I place a dog and still have a few idiots get through.

The shelters have them sign a paper and take their money. I doubt they would
get 50% follow-up rate.

Several rural counties in FL send all animals out with a voucher for a $10 to
$25 alter and only about half are done, guess what happens to the rest of those
pets.

I do not like early spay/neuter for the health of the pet but I like even less
the animals out there breeding randomly.

Diane Robert
Majestic German Shepherds
Tampa Bay German Shepherd Rescue, Inc

>From: Falkrigia@xxxxxxx
>Date: 2007/06/28 Thu AM 11:44:12 CDT
>To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] need early spay/neuter info

>if anyone has any links to legitimate studies on early spay/neuter
>problems, please send them to me.
>
>I am working with a rescue group who was encouraged to do 8 week
>spay/neuters. I have convinced them to wait til at least 16 weeks but would
>like to get
>it back even further but need more 'firepower'.
>lynda
>
>Check out our websites below for regular updates
>Gene Workman
>Lynda Bragg-Workman
>Falkrigia Shepherds
>_www.falkrigiashepherds.com_ (http://www.falkrigiashepherds.com/)
>_www.thecraftywoodchuck.com_ (http://www.thecraftywoodchuck.com/)
>

>************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

>POST is Copyrighted 2007. All material remains the property of the original
>are permitted without prior permission of the original author AND of the

>PROSECUTED.

>VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org

Diane Roberts
Majestic German Shepherds
Tampa Bay German Shepherd Rescue
Riverview, FL 33569
813-671-2913

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on,
when.