[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: nationals ( again )

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 09:05:15 -0700

I could be wrong...........but I really do think we will have some top
'quality'  animals
competing this year too.......

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

  From: Cynthia VanDenBerge To: Show GSD List Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010
  6:29 AMSubject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [gsdshowlist] nationals

  Yes, I think that these are some really good ideas...ones that would make
  me  excited about going to a National again.
  I just want to see  dogs, friends and meet new people. Don't need a white
  wall, sod, awful  banquets (sorry, I know that they are a lot of work but I
  am just as happy  with a pizza and a beer) and all of the trappings that go
  into what we do  today. I mainly just want to spend time with some really
  neat dogs!
  Utah has been slammed a little and I have nothing against a National being
  held there. I mean, they deserve a break too. But that distance is
  impossible  for me to realistically handle. Time and cost are awful,
especially
  without an  entry....well, I guess an entry would make it even more
expensive! I
  sure hope  that we can come up with some creative ideas and then execute
  against them to  see what happens. Heck, try something new. We can always go
  back to the old  way if it doesn't work out. Cynthia

  I've  suggested "Regional Nationals" a number of times.  I think it  would
  increase entries across the board
  and get dogs out that will show  locally  and within driving distance but
  whose owners can't or won't fly  and
  take a week  to 10 days off (including travel time) to do  the whole
  national as it is  structured now.

  Friday-Saturday-Sunday MAXIMUM!  Maybe the Futurity/Maturity on the
  Friday w/ a puppy match that PM.
  Bitches on Saturday w/  Veterans/Honor  parade.  Dogs on Sunday then BOB.
  Out of there and  on the way
  home by 4PM.

  I'd arrange for  Herding/Tracking where available on Friday, Rally/OB and
  Agility   Saturday & Sunday (only)
  if the local regional specialty  club  could support it. See...easy.

  And.... I  wouldn't stop people from entering as many F/Ms as they wanted
  either.

  Like Helen suggested, if an owner wanted to  go to all...they could.
  Dog's could accumulate points towards
  some sort of "dog/bitch of the year"...the  race horse people  do it...they
  do it for the academy awards..
  .you can't  tell me  we can't figure this out as a group.

  And for  goodness sakes, can we do some outside in lovely parks with
  GRASS?????
  I don't need to be indoors, I don't need a white wall  to  see a bad back
  and if I never eat another banquet
  style dinner that's just fine  by me!

  Kathy,  member GSDCA, DVGSDC

  In a  message dated 10/7/2010 2:31:02  P.M. Central Daylight Time,
  Lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx  writes:
  Those  are some thoughts, I  don't envy the Board,  they truly have
  monumental tasks  ahead of  them,
  I hope  there are enough that are willing to think "outside" of   the box
  to  make some progress in these
  areas of   concern

  Over  these past ten years,like Mike ,I have  suggested  a "two  -time" set
   of Nationals. One in the spring
  and one in the fall. I used to judge   many of the   Siberian Husky
  Nationals ,which were held in 4   different
  regions every year,with the local Specialty clubs   hosting  them.  They
  did this because they had added
  extras to  conformation,like racing and sled  pulls,in addition to
  obedience. So  the club that was hosting it
  could have  their  own local Specialty,  plus their Parent club sponsored
  show--- with all the extras .
  I  remember being confused about  4 different  Nationals, but it worked for
   them  They did their  conformation
  part both  inside,and  outside,but the other  activities outside. So I
  judged one National  in  Denver inside
  and another time one National outdoors in Georgia.  That I  remember
  vividly,since I had a white pant suit
  on and  it  rained and even though I was  under a tent,the Georgia red mud
  was  all over the pants <G>
  And they were  doing  that long before  the economy became bad. But I
  really like the idea of  a  Performance
  National one time and a Conformation  National another time . Each
  National could be shortened to a 3-4  day event,that would be less  expensive

  ,easier for people to take  off from work or schooling. And  if someone
  had the  time  and money to go to both.it would be their  choice.  The
  Germans do  it  with the
  Seiger show at a different  time than the  World trials. On is
  conformation,and one is for the   Working ability. Just some thoughts.
  Helen
  Miller   Fisher

POST  is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the
  original  author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS
of
  any kind  are permitted without prior permission of the original author AND
of

  expressed in any post.

  NATIONAL  BLOG -  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/

  Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group and
its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions expressed
in any post.