[ SHOWGSD-L ] national sites

  • From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 01:25:04 EDT

I believe that Lew Bunch's idea of a checklist is VITAL to national site
selection.  However, when the board (and then the membership) is "told"  that
certain things WILL be at the national, then it needs to happen, or at  least
there need to be three columns:  yes, no, unknown, and then space for  comments
for EACH criteria.  Then, the ENTIRE board that votes on  national sites needs
to have a copy of this checklist BEFORE voting.  A  checklist is only useful
if it's actually followed.

For example, this year herding is HOURS away.  The board was NOT aware  of
this when they voted on the Charlotte site.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE  the
location that herding will be at.  I don't think there's a better place  in
North
Carolina (or South Carolina) than Fran Hoffman's Glennhaven Farm.   Her sheep
are fantastic and she's doing everything she can to accommodate all 3
courses (including holding a Course C tending seminar this weekend and she's
already conditioning sheep for the Course C flock).  Her A course &  test sheep
are
used to being worked by all different  breeds.

BUT when the Charlotte site was voted on, I believe the board was also
considering a Raleigh/Durham site.  If the board had been aware that  (1) the
herding is HOURS from Charlotte, (2) there are no stalls  at Charlotte, (3)
agility
will have to be on CONCRETE (yeah, with  mats, but it's still concrete,
folks!!), then they could have made a more  "educated" choice about the best
place
to have a national.

Julie Degen