[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: national dinner

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:14:37 -0500

To a degree I agree with the below. I am for keeping the "specialness" but
doing away with the "stuffiness" We need less 'talk time" and more mingling
time. Perhaps doing away with a "sit down" dinner so to speak and just
having a good variety of hot and cold Hors d'oeuvres  would be an option. I
was at a reception at a country club not to long ago and the variety of
appetizers was great..people mingled, sat at different tables and visited.
The "semi" formalness of it all made for good conversation and fun.Also
some announcements/awards that take up a good deal of time could be moved
to the annual meeting. As it stands now..when you have a "sit down" dinner
most feel as soon as dinner is finished, it is time to leave..As with any
party or reception..things need to move along to keep it interesting.Also I
am for letting people sit where they want to sit. Reserve seating is fine(
for revenue)..but sitting in"cliques" doesn't allow for meeting new people.
In Oregon, we did not have tickets, so we were placed at a random table. We
were seated with some people we were acquainted with and others we were not
acquainted with. Was enlightening to talk to with people who you might
otherwise not  met. Didn't there used to be music or a dance afterwards?
Thought it would be nice to have a dance..with the first dance for the GV
and GVX winners, handlers and associates..then a dance for all the other
winners..then open the floor.The dance could begin after the judges
critiques( which should be short and sweet), so more guests would be there
and could share in the fun, which in turn might encourage them to stay
longer and meet more people.During the dance, dessert could be served..A
fun event usually attracts more people! C.Grainger