[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: mycoplasma - long

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 09:49:35 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/2009 9:25:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I know I  have seen this on the lists before and would like some  info
Questions....
For those who have delt with this in their  dogs...
What were the symptoms?
What was the treatment?
What do you  do for future prevention?
Rebecca Little
Peakes Brook German  Shepherds
http://sites.centralpets.com/mammals/peakesbrookgsd/index.html

Hi Rebecca

There is a group who does online seminars with vets. Here is an excerpt of
a canine reproduction seminar with Dr Hutchinson (OH), this part  is
regarding mycoplasma.  I believe he will be doing a seminar at the  National
this
year.

some thoughts from Dr. Robert Van Hutchison on Canine  Reproduction
(re:mycoplasma)
Question: What about the dreaded mycoplasma?
DrHutch: Unfortunately, an article published in the early 90s blamed
mycoplasma for infertility in males, bitches aborting their puppies, husbands
fooling around with their secretaries.
We as dog people jumped on this like there was no tomorrow. Mycoplasma is a
 normal organism at all body openings. A routine culture of a bitch's
vaginal  tract will show strep, staph, e coli, pastuerella, and mycoplasma. The
vaginal  tract is not sterile so routine culturing of a normal, healthy bitch
is totally  unwarranted.
You need to appreciate the purpose of normal flora or normal bacteria: they
 keep the BAD bugs out so a routine culture, that shows mycoplasma, e coli,
and  strep, is not a cause for treatment but a cause for celebration
because the  bitch is normal
Question: What about bitches who did not become pregnant before
antibiotics, but do afterward?
DrHutch: Putting on bitches on antibiotics pre-breeding actually makes
them more prone to infectious disease by killing normal organisms, especially
when we use the GOOD drugs like Baytril. Occasionally, we may see a bitch
with  an infection... but there will be signs of that infection - redness,
abnormal  discharge, smelling - just like if you have an infection in your ear,
you're not  going to not know it. Bacteria does not equal infection.
When we see problems with mycoplasma, for example, it is not the mycoplasma
 that caused the problem. Mycoplasma only took the opportunity of the
infection,  just the same as the staph on the skin causes a hot spot because
the
dog has  fleas, for example. Most of the individuals that see who do have
mycoplasma  infection, would not have been prevented by a routine culture, as
the primary  problem was stress, steroids, or other types of immune
deficiency. They are only  secondary problems. Something like pyometritis is
not
caused by routine  bacteria; the normal bacteria were allowed to flare up by
the inflammation of  the uterine lining
Question: Isn't it true that an e coli infection can be passed to the
puppies in the birth canal, causing fading puppies and the loss of the whole
litter?
DrHutch: In normal healthy puppies, no. Think of puppies like the  lions
surrounding the antelopes looking for the weak ones. If a puppy is  stressed,
unhealthy, otherwise compromised, then the e coli can flare up but  it's not
because we allowed the e coli to be there, it's because we allowed the
puppy to be unhealthy.
We cannot sterilize vaginal tracts no matter how many antibiotics we give
because air goes in, air goes out. Just because there is vaginal bacteria
does  not mean there is intrauterine bacteria (bacteria in the uterus).