[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: my reply

  • From: culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:17:45 -0500

Are you kidding me? So what the heck do we have a standard for? what the heck
am I spending my money on? Then a champion is only a dog who the judge thought
the faults weren't as bad as the other dogs? I don't want you to look at my
dogs pedigree or handler I want you to have a clear picture and working
knowledge of our standard and judge the dog to that standard not to the other
dogs in the ring. That is judging for breeding stock. How many times do we
hear, they are not judging dog to dog but the standard of the dog and what dog
is closest to the standard. I am not asking a judge to do anything other than
their job, judge the dang dog to the standard. Period.
If you think that your dog only got his/hers championship because he/she had
fewer faults than the other dogs then you do your dog a diservice and all the
other champions. A wise woman told me not to be offended by others opinions and
I am trying to keep that in mind. But I am very sure I will expect the judges I
show under to have a working knowledge of the standard and judge to that or I
won't do conformation any more. And you know what...conformation loses not me
cause I will continue on in the breed and I will do other venues. I don't need
a judge to decide who I am breeding to or what I am breeding, I need a judge to
judge my dog to the standard. Again that is how you judge for breeding stock.
If they can't or won't then I will go elsewhere. And spend a heck of a lot less
money doing it. I already ask other longtime breeders to critique my dog(s) and
maybe that is the way to continue.

What the heck am I missing? I am tired of hearing you have to be a student of
the breed but we don't really need to judge to the standard. We just need to
pick the dog with the fewest faults. You do realize that you can have a dog
with the fewest faults that day and not have a dog that is the closest to the
standard? We do have a responsibility to take dogs as close to the standard as
possible to the judges and they have a responsiblity to judge to the standard.
Talk about mediocre. Talk about weak backs, long backs,long hocks, paddling,
lifting,horrible fronts, short necks, horrible ears, weak pasterns, slab sided,
fine boned, no 2ndary sex characteristics.  But hey, my dog had the fewest
faults so yay I win!!
Kathaleen is right, and I agree we have beat this to the ground and I will
never agree to judges who either don't know or don't care about the breed
standard and I do expect a judge to be held to that. If you don't well it is
your loss and you will eventually find yourself in the ring alone.
Sorry this is so long.
Pam

Msg: #7 in digest
rom: "pmick12" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
ubject: a reply to Pam
ate: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 17:37:34 -0500
If  10 judges on 10 different days think your dog is wonderful and put him
o WD in what most would consider good company, all that means, in the end,
s that whatever faults they saw weren't as important to them as the faults
f the others in competition...because the dog's virtues outweighed those
aults and those virtues were of greater merit than the virtues of the other
ogs in competition on the day.
       In the end, that's all the judge is supposed to do (notice, there is
o mention of pedigree or handler there)........it is the breeder or owner's
roblem to figure out what else to do with the animal.
       Peggy