[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: my opinion

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: helen@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 23:13:31 -0400

David Fritsch was right...however, I think that after someone
misinterpreted a post of mine last night, I should explain it.
Of course, if a person has never published a magazine or worked on one,
it's probably difficult to understand...but things can go wrong no
matter how much care is taken.
   I have two very dear friends who each own and publish a breed
specific magazine about the size of the Review.  One of these people is
very involved in the breed as a breeder/exhibitor/handler, and the other
just likes the breed (these are two different breeds).........each of
them takes the utmost care with every issue, everything in every issue,
and still, mistakes occur.
        Once the printer is done and the magazines are in the mail, it's
a little late to know that someone's ad has bad color, or is "smeared,"
or even, sometimes, to catch that a dog's name has been misspelled...and
this has happened to my friends, as well as to probably every
publication I've ever seen.  I ran an ad in Dog News years ago, and in
an attempt to make the ad look "special," the layout people messed it
up...it got me a free page later, but the original ad was the important
one......  My friend who is involved in the breed she publishes for has
had the terrible misfortune to have one entire issue leave the printer's
hands with terrible mistakes in every ad but one, and that one was for a
dog she'd bred and was handling.  I thought she was going to shut her
magazine down, she was so upset...and if she didn't have the superb
reputation that she has, she might have had to...but her advertisers
understood and did not desert her.  They weren't happy, and she "ate" a
lot of free replacement ads for a while...but she's still in business,
and it's been maybe 15 years since that big error........
       It's easy to say that there's no conflict of interest...and if
this were a perfect world there wouldn't be.  But just imagine what
would happen if what I just described to you happened to the issue of
the Review that is the last one before the National?  How would the
advertisers feel?

       We have to remember that it may not be that something improper
actually occurs.. as the AKC puts it in the Guidelines for Judges
booklet...take every step to avoid the appearance of impropriety.
       Someone pointed out to me last night in a private email that
there is a well-known publication (all breed) and the two most
well-known people connected with it do still show and breed, and even
win.  Yes, they do...and they have the most disreputable reputations,
too....we don't need that for our Review Editor, and no matter how
wonderful the Editor is (and I don't have a clue who Susan is), she
probably doesn't need it, either.

    The Board can and will do what it thinks best...but some thought has
to be given to what it's actually like when putting out a publication,
especially one like the Review...
the opportunity for the APPEARANCE OF IMPROPRIETY exists if the Editor
still exhibits, handles, or judges...Gail had the right idea.  The
Editor has to be like Caesar's wife was supposed to be...above
reproach..................    it has nothing to do with her ethics, it
has to do with how things are interpreted by others..........

    And that's all I'm going to say about that...LOL
Peggy
(PCMember last I looked)