[ SHOWGSD-L ] my opinion

  • From: "Helen Franklin" <helen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:25:55 -0700

Once again, the words of wisdom.  Thank you David Fritsch who writes:
I've not commented because this is not a big issue for me.

Avoiding the appearance of evil can become so burdensome that legalism
creates a restrained atmosphere that is too tense and no fun. When all my
friends cannot participate because they are board members, or editors or
judges or handlers or.... I will have no friends and no majors and no reason
to play!

You cannot avoid the appearance of evil, when evil is in the eye of the
beholder. I'd rather just trust my friends to be ethical and enjoy them and
my hobby. I'd rather get burned occasionally by the dishonesty of a few than
to have only the few available to participate.

Maybe that is sort of my view of America - we could stop crime and evil -
just put a cop on every corner and put more people in jail and stop all this
laughing, chewing gum and having fun. We choose freedom which brings with it
the possibility of excess. Ya can't have it both ways.

Less constraint - more trust.
Dave