[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: my 2 cents worth

  • From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 22:23:53 EST

The way I look at it, allowing mixed breed to compete could really help our
dog sports, AKC, AND Non AKC alike.
Agility, Obedience, Flyball, etc....they're ALL hurting for new blood.
Honestly, how often do you see juniors competing in these events?

I See ONE Junior (Only ONE!) competing in agility here (Green Bay, WI)....and
she's from my kennel club! I am the second youngest person running at any
given trial (usually) at 21 years of age! Everybody else is
pretty....um....well
seasoned.

Allowing people to compete with their mutts is a GREAT way to get some new
blood, and some new YOUNG blood. They'll go to shows and check out all the
other
cool purebreds, and maybe conformation will catch their eye, or perhaps
they'll end up being more drawn to obedience.

AKC trials are THE most abundant...it's very hard for people to get "into
dogs" if they have a mutt, because UKC, NADAC, and USDAA trials from what I see
are few and far between, and they usually require a good deal of travel in
order to attend.  With AKC, I usually have to travel less than an hour one way
in
order to get to SEVERAL trials a year.

My only concern is that more people will begin breeding the "ultimate agility
dog" aka...the Border Jack (Border Collie x Jack Russell...known for small
size but TREMENDOUS speed). These crosses are very popular within NADAC circles
from what I know...and they are quite the speed demons (I couldn't live with
one)

- Jackie

Marcato Shepherds
Where it's about function, not flash