[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: movement - according to the Standard

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:12:44 EDT

In a message dated 7/10/2005 12:13:48 P.M. Central Standard Time,
cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
The  Standard - "The dog does not track on widely separated parallel lines,
but  brings the feet inward toward the middle line of the body when trotting,
in  order to maintain balance. The feet track closely but do not strike or
cross  over."

This to me is single tracking isn't it?

The Standard -  "Viewed from the rear, the hind legs function from the hip
joint to the pad in  a straight line."

Okay I have an idea what this should look like  in my mind but can someone
please explain what exactly this means because this  line more so than any
other
would eliminate all dogs with their hocks twisting  to and fro as they move,
from the judges consideration and I say eliminate  only because the Standard
says that any faults in movement should be  considered very serious faults.  I
believe it is the only time that it  refers to something as a VERY serious
fault.

Thanks for the  responses.

Cindy

Hi Cindy

I am so enjoying your questions, and the answers you are getting.

Here is my take.

Having owned dogs who have extreme angles and are very clean, I feel I
understand your confusion.  There is an extreme for everything, from most
desirable to least desirable, with things ideally belonging within.  The
extremes are
then not incorrect, but within range, lets say 1 and 10. Some  people will
prefer to stay in the middle (5-7) to be safe.  I don't  mind extreme
angulation, but I do mind overly angulated.  These, by  definition, have gone
past
(over) a desirable range.

Let me give you another "extreme" example.  There is a preference in
pigment, with the more pigment being the most desirable.  However, a dog  that
is
correct in temperament and movement should not be penalized for being  less
pigmented (extreme) than others.  He is within range.

When I look at a dog going away, the ligamentation and musculature of this
dog needs to be such that doesn't distract me from viewing his movement. If  it
does it is a fault of movement. I may think that is only muscles, but I  can
only judge them that day, not into the future. That day they are  faulty.
If they don't single track that is another fault of movement.  If my  viewing
of their sidegait is distracted by any incorrect motion (like  running down
hill)  this dog now has another fault of  movement.  I have personally seen
these dogs.  And they should be  faulted accordingly.  Faults of movement ARE
serious faults.

When coming at you the movement needs to also be correct.  A dog that  stands
east/west will sometimes move correctly.  Otherwise is a fault of  movement.
Moving out from the elbow is also a fault of movement. Lifting is also  a
fault of movement. Pedaling is also incorrect.  I tend to observe lifting  and
incomplete opening, lack of drive and dragging toes from a sidegait  view a lot
better.  I have a mental image of where this dog needs  to place with each
step.

One thing I find very important, that every dog and specially every extreme
dog should have, is a correct, strong topline. Standing  and in  motion.  The
topline is the part of the structure that holds it all  together.  A faulty
topline may last thru a small show, but take that dog  herding. It can't last.
Form before function.

Now, dogs that are shown at high speed and on a tight leash can sometimes
hide some of these faults.  But it is up to the judge to find it.   They may
win, but they shouldn't have, and it shouldn't be rewarded with more
breedings.
We are going to put ourselves in a corner with all these  dysfunctional rears.

Now, this is not always due to bad conformation. Sometimes is due to being
out of condition.  Needless to say, those extreme dogs who are out of
condition will look very loose and woobly.  They can't help it, but is not  due
their conformation.  Is like an athlete that comes back after a long  break.
They have to get in shape to perform at their best.  Or here  come the cramps,
the twisted ankles, etc.

Judge every dog you see, see where every step fall, you will start to see
the differences.  Know what you are looking for, read the standard. Take  one
part of the standard each week and compare each dog to it, see how close it  is
to the standard.  Move on to the next part, compare all the dogs to that  part
of the standard.  Soon you will see and understand the standard a lot
better. You will be judging the dogs. Just be careful not to fall into judging
only
parts of the dogs and forget the rest.  You have to take the time  to see it
all come together.  You HAVE to see the total dog.

Hope this helps.  I am not an icon or an old timer, but I am a student  of
the breed.  Good luck and keep asking the good questions.

Ileana