[ SHOWGSD-L ] more to Zoa on diabetes detection dogs, etc.

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:42:05 -0500

    More to Zoa:
       There have also been television programs on the Discovery Health
channel, and on Animal Planet, and even news clips on CNN and other news
stations, about dogs alerting to diabetes, esp. to changes in sugar
levels, and also about dogs that alert to epileptic seizures, before
they occur.   We are all familiar with seeing eye dogs, and the guiding
eyes dogs...(same thing, different programs)........but there are
hearing assistance dogs, dogs that are just plain assistance dogs, e.g.,
for people in wheelchairs, who have dogs that pick up dropped items,
fetch items by name, etc.  There is no end to what dogs can do...I'm
sure the first diabetes alert and seizure alert dogs were identified by
accident, but now there are programs nationwide to train them...not to
mention scientific research programs that have researched dogs detecting
cancer by scent (mentioned in the Complete Pembroke Welsh Corgi book by
Sargent/Harper..)...that particular program was conducted in the
Baltimore, Maryland, area, and the most successful dogs in the program
were a Corgi that I bred but didn't own, and a Standard Schnauzer.
Those two animals had reached the point where they could detect cancer
by as little as one gene...unfortunately, the funding for the program
was pulled at that point.  For some reason, I think the program was
initially funded by the Sloan-Kettering Institute, but I'm not sure of that.
    In any case, there are many things that people have found dogs can
do...detecting changes in blood  sugar is just one of those.
Peggy

In a message dated 1/11/2007 10:07:59 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,