[ SHOWGSD-L ] more Re: Albon

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx, Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:05:49 EST

In a message dated 2/28/2006 9:03:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx writes:
I'm not  sure what brand Kathy is using - I bought Di-Methox from
Revival  Pets.  The mixing instructions suggested the Dyne or
Stat to cover the  bitter taste.  I think they also suggested a
fruit drink mix as an  alternative.

Janice

The non flavored solution from KV.  Comes in a gallon container and I  seem
to remember something about adding it to puppies' drinking water.  Not  sure
how much per gallon of water or for how long.  Here's why I was asking  and my
thought was to keep it on hand to add to drinking water because.... I  sent 3
chubby, happy puppies home at 8 weeks this past weekend. They had a  health
cert from my vet and naturally, they all went for vet checks w/ their  people.
One of the three, the vet is treating for coccidia.  All 3  fecal checks were
negative for worms, but the one vet mentioned coccidia..   I spoke w/ one of MY
vets who said coccidia is found in all dog's guts and  puppies develop an
immunity.  Said in their practice, unless they see an  unthrifty puppy and/or
watery stools they don't panic.  Said it's really  more of a problem w kittens
(????).  She also said that's it's so common  and because the stress of going
a new home can cause a flare up before a  puppy's immunity if developed
against coccidia (six months she said),  that  some vets treat for it as a
matter
of routine, which seems to jive w/ the fact  that only one vet is treating for
it of the three puppies who were vet checked  at their new homes.  I was just
thinking as a matter of course, in the  future, maybe I should keep the non
flavored liquid on hand and add it to the  puppies' drinking water after a
certain age?

The people who own the puppy being treated said their vet said it's common,
they aren't worried, etc., but I do live in the country, plenty of critters
etc., so I'm wondering if the albon in the drinking water should be part of
what  I do.
Thanks in advance,

Kathy