[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: microchips

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: lfossland@xxxxxxx, pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:03:41 EST

In a message dated 1/15/2007 1:37:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
lfossland@xxxxxxx writes:
This  subject is of great interest to me as I have been able to rescue two of
my  dogs that were not returned to me but dumped by the owner in a  kill
shelter.
These 2 dogs were microchipped by me. Fortunately they  were scanned and I
was notified and was able to rescue them.
I do  believe - and hope - that the original microchips can not be  changed,
otherwise it will be worthless to you as breeder. Of course you  cannot keep
the new owner from adding one of their own. In this case I  think the earlier
chip would be accepted.

You are lucky Lee.  First off, looking at my Avid records, IF I  were to
sell/place a chipped dog and IF I were to supply a new owner with the  form and
sign the back of it, they could re register the dog/chip in their  name.  No
problems.  (I can't think of why I wouldn't.)

Now, here's why I say you're lucky.  It all depends on who has the dog
(rescue, pound, etc.) IF they will give a dog back to the person who chipped
the
dog originally IF they aren't the current owner.  I have a friend who was
called at work one day.  A dog she had placed had been left out of a side  yard
by
some neighborhood children and had gotten hit by a car.  It was  picked up
(hurt) and at the pound.  She couldn't reach the people  she'd placed the dog
with (at work), so she called me (since I work at home) to  run up and get the
dog and get it to her vet.  I asked that she fax me a  statement, signed, to
release the dog to me, and also that she contact the pound  to let them know
someone other than herself had permission.  Nope.   Nor would they release the
dog to her. Since the people who kept the dog had  licensed the dog, according
to their (county) records, they were  the  owners and they were the only folks
the pound would release the dog to  and the poor dog had to suffer until that
evening.

So, while I think it's a nice idea in theory to leave your name on the  chip,
in practice, whoever ends up with a dog may not release the dog to the
person who chipped the dog.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_