[ SHOWGSD-L ] merles - more than you want to know..

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dorothy Linn <linnloch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:26:13 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                        Contact: Jefferson Sossamon
Date: March 8, 2006                              Phone:      919-334-4010

Merle Patterning Gene Identified
The AKC Canine Health Foundation announces that Dr. Keith Murphy's
laboratory has published its findings describing the genetic cause of
merle coat patterning in dogs. Dr. Murphy is Professor, Department of
Pathobiology at the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical
Sciences of Texas A&M University and has been funded by the CHF for
various projects. The findings are significant in that dogs with merle
patterning often suffer from deafness and ocular abnormalities.
Therefore, the merle findings will certainly assist future research
concerning these canine health issues.

Merle is a pattern of coloring observed in the coat of the domestic dog
and is characterized by patches of diluted pigment. This trait is
inherited in an autosomal, incompletely dominant fashion. Dogs
heterozygous or homozygous for the merle locus exhibit a wide range of
auditory and ophthalmologic abnormalities, which are similar to those
observed for the human auditory-pigmentation disorder Waardenburg
syndrome. Mutations in at least five genes have been identified as
causative for Waardenburg syndrome; however, the genetic bases for all
cases have not been determined. Linkage disequilibrium was identified
for a microsatellite marker with the merle phenotype in the Shetland
Sheepdog. This region of the human genome contains SILV, a gene
important in mammalian pigmentation. Therefore, this gene was evaluated
as a candidate for merle patterning. These data show that SILV is
responsible for merle patterning and is associated with impaired
function of the auditory and ophthalmologic systems. Although the mutant
phenotype of SILV in the human is unknown, these results make it an
intriguing candidate gene for human auditory-pigmentation disorders. The
patented genetic test for merle is now available through the Canadian
company, Vita-Tech which carries out tests for merle in multiple breeds.
More information on Vita-Tech can be found at:
http://www.vita-tech.com/home.cfm.

The results of this work are published as Retrotransposon Insertion in
SILV is Responsible for Merle Patterning of the Domestic Dog (Clark et
al.) in the January 31, 2006 issue of the Proceedings of the National
Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS).