[ SHOWGSD-L ] memories

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:03:08 -0500

I know some of you are or have been involved in other breeds.  I have
been involved in several, among them, Gordon Setters.  There was a
wonderful Gordon here in Virginia back in the 70s...bred and owned by a
grand old lady, Elizabeth (Mrs. W. W. ) Clark, who bred Schnauzers in
addition to Gordons.  The dog I'm thinking about today was named
Afternod Yank of Rockaplenty.  Yank was sort of a phenomenon in his
day..while many thought he carried too many rags (too much coat), he was
greatly admired.  He won the Sporting Group at the Westminster show in
1975....and won the sterling silver bowl that was on offer at the time.
   The bowl is now listed on eBay..most of us who knew Elizabeth are
trying to figure out how it got there!  None of us can remember hearing
that Elizabeth has died, and I know she would never allow this trophy
out of the house, especially to go up for auction on EBay...it has been
a very hot topic of conversation for the past day or two...
   Not only is the bowl there, but the listing has Yank's name wrong,
which just proves to us that Elizabeth had nothing to do with this.........
   Bids as of a few minutes ago had to be at least $305......quite a bit
to spend on an old tarnished bowl, even if it was made by Tiffany and is
sterling........just for the memories, especially for me, who, although
I've owned a couple of Gordons, can't afford to spend money on these
kinds of things.
   It's such a heartbreak to see that listing, though.  It makes me
think...one of my hobbies is going to estate sales (some of you may call
them tag sales)...and it occurs to me at every one that the day will
come when someone will be rooting through my own treasures, thinking to
themselves "what the hell did this person want this old thing for," as I
sometimes find myself thinking when I'm looking at things at the estate
sales...
   So yes, it kills us in many ways to part with our old doggies, and it
is so very difficult to part with some of our old doggie memorabilia,
too...just remember, what seems so valuable to you today may someday be
"rubbish" to someone else.. or might even end up on ebay for total
strangers to bid on!
   I find myself feeling so sad...not only that Elizabeth's lovely
trophy is now on ebay, but because whoever listed it  obviously didn't
know her at all, and certainly didn't know or care about
Yank.........imagine not even getting his name right!  I know I am often
overly sentimental...but this really is breaking my heart!
Peggy