[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: mega esophagus

  • From: "Lonna Fisher" <lonnagsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showdogs" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:00:09 -0600

Hi,
     First I would barium x-ray your female to make sure she is not
affected. Yes I would breed her again provided she is clear but I would use
another male ....... though sadly finding one that hasn't produced it might
be very difficult as most breeders do not want to admit having problems.

I know many years ago I was slammed when I spoke out about my mega problems
including naming the sire and dam (the dam was several generations of my
breeding) the sire a well known US stud dog .......... no I will not name
him again but I must say his owner and breeder had no problem with me naming
him and as a breeder she is someone I really admire.

It is hard as if we as breeders were more honest we could solve a lot more
of the issues in our wonderful breed but seeing how some breeders have been
torn apart by others for admitting to issues in their bloodlines I also
understand why breeders are not in any hurry to share information.

The only thing I can tell you 100 % is mega does NOT always have symptoms,
so if you want to be sure you must barium x-ray, having said that I don't
think any breeder can afford to test for every thing that can affect their
breed, we must all pick our battles.

For me I barium x-ray, x-ray hips and elbows and occ have tested eyes but
unless I notice a problem I do not run any other screening tests on my
breeding stock except the normal vet checks.

I hope your next litter is clear of mega.

Take care,
Lonna

Lonna Fisher
Sunflower Reg'd GSD