[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: look the other way

  • From: "Paul Root" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 13:22:02 -0400

Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] look the other way

Ed is one of my favorite people, but we will never agree on the food issue.
Now, we do give Kierk a chicken most days, but that is to clean his breath, and
add to his kibble. He still gets Cosco for his meals.

The dog food companies spend millions of dollars to develop their food, and are
under the watchful eye of the government controls. I know, I have a friend who
worked in the lab, and he used to tell me the tight controls. Probably not so
much for altruistic sake, but due to the damn lawyers.

Evan L. Ginsburg

Paul adds...

I know Evan researches his case work more than who rides herd on dog food
manufacturers...AAFCO or the Assn. of Feed Control Officials are the bunch
assigned to dog food manufacture. They pretty much leave those manufacturers
alone short of a bad batch or a major recall. These are the same “bureaucrats”
who allow CBPM or chicken by-product meal (beaks, feet, heads, & feathers not
to exceed 10%) to be listed as “quality protein”. Same bunch still that allows
manufacturers to list “chicken” as the 1st ingredient on a bag when they know
damn well that 60% of that chickie is water and will have to be removed in
order to turn it into chicken meal when included in an extruded kibble.

There are a very few dog food producers who fall under the USDA...very
few...but the list is growing as consumers become more aware of the bait and
switch “chicken as 1st ingredient” scam and other atrocities AAFCO is allowed
to perpetuate on an unknowing public in the manufacture of dog food.

Our dogs ate best back in the days of local butcher shops and the raw scraps
they used to turn into pet food. We paid $.25 cents a pound from Petrini’s back
in the 80’s when we began. Now our dogs eat chicken leg quarters, backs, necks,
and other raw yummies along with a USDA scrutinized supplement replicating
muscle mass and the contents of a prey’s gut.

All of that said...feeding is SUCH A PERSONAL THING when it comes to feeding
our dogs and I offer the above as added knowledge to make you a more educated
consumer.

Paul