[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: long coat revision to the standard by FV

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <grnram415@xxxxxxx>, <denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 22:08:51 -0700

It is a "fault".....no matter how awesome their structure...but so are soft
coats & open coats.
There are different types of long coats......but they are still
"coats"......and they are all a
problem when you live in the Country where there are stickers, fox tails, a lot
of dirt,  or
out in the field herding and working.    Even snow balls up on their coats and
sticks.
We've all had 'coats' that are  really nice....but I wouldn't show
one........too much effort just
to get a good dog or a great dog shown without wasting time and money  on a
coated one.
You can already show them at AKC shows as long as they are not trimmed.
They are mentioned in our Standard........and considered a fault of the coat!
<G>.
Why change now?
The GSDCA, Inc.   doesn't decide what we can show or not show.
If you have an AKC registered dog you can show it......it can even have
disqualifying
faults....( it's your entry fee to throw away )   you just will either lose or
be disqualified. <G>

I sure hope we don't start tinkering with our Standard to fit coat faults?
We have a great
Breed......and a great Breed Standard.   Why would we want to start splitting
it into varities
of coats and colors and light eyes, and dark eyes, and blacks and sables etc.

This is a working / herding breed and there is a definite reason a long coat is
not desired.
Though a beautiful  Breed  ( as long as we stay vigilant ) .our Standard
addresses the best
qualities for easy maintenance and all aspects of a working dog, service dog
and a herding
dog  ( again, as long as we stay vigilant )  whether it is the coat, the feet
or even  the long
saber tail for balance.
JMO
Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx