[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: lists

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TISHW@xxxxxxx>, <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:37:23 -0500

There is nothing wrong with arguing.  If none of us ever argued, we'd all be
imorons and no one would ever learn anything.    After all, that is the
basis of debate...presenting one's own argument for or against a theory or a
statement...and then the other side gets to present their argument.

    Some people argue vehemently...some quit and walk away.  There are
levels in between, of course.  Some try to explain a point of view without
giving any reasons for holding that view, and sometimes, an argument or
explanation is interpreted as fighting, especially by those who don't WANT
to hear any side other than their own.  They prefer to remain uninformed.

    Arguing is what attorneys do, as well as debaters.  There's nothing
wrong with a good argument...it can clear the air, explain
misunderstandings, and expose weaknesses and even strengths.

    Resorting to namecalling and accusation is not arguing.   Those tactics
are the resources of the unarmed man (or woman)...unarmed meaning one
without a leg to stand on in any discussion or argument.  All too often, the
people who complain that there is too much argument, or who demand that all
arguing cease
are the very reason (or whose behaviour is the reason) the argument is
necessary.  Most of the time, things aren't meant as personal attacks...and
it is only when there is no acceptable retort to one's argument that it
becomes personal...and that by the person who is without a response.

    Peggy.