[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: lip crud

  • From: Diane Wright <Diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD L <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:42:51 -0400

Not that I know anything ;-) but I don't think lip crud is indicative of
lupus or any other scary ailment. It's just lip crud.
I don't know where it comes from, some dogs seem to have it & some don't.

My first GSD had seasonal lip crud (an ailment I've named myself).  In
mid-winter (that's the northern states 6 month long winter) she'd get a
mild lip crud on the top of her nose, along the 'line' where the nose
meets the fur. Sometimes a small area on her lips. The vet said to put
panalog on it, but I thought the dog licking off whatever was in panalog
wasn't probably good so I quit doing that. (I don't recall if it really
helped or not, it never stayed on her nose long enough.) I started
squeezing vit E capsules on it. I can't remember how often... daily or
every other day.... pretty frequently. That seemed to take care of it.
Plus she had a dewy soft nose!

Other dogs have had lip crud on the lips but not the nose.  One of my
girls has it frequently & when she's got it, it's quite cruddy. My
youngest male has had little bouts of it, it shows up for a couple days
& then disapears on it's own for weeks.

My current vet tells me to put something on it... but I can't tell you
what.  I tune him out because I don't want the dogs ingesting whatever
he's suggesting.
Helpful, aren't I?
;-)
Diane