[ SHOWGSD-L ] light eyes-missing teeth

  • From: "Terra Fairburn" <terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ardejay@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:46:19 -0500

over a period of time missing teeth in a line of dogs will cause the structure
of the mouth-head to change-thus snippy muzzles etc.  Light eyes is very easy
to correct in a breeding program but are very dominate.  Light eyes are not
attractive but do not cause any deformities over the generations.  It scares me
that we are fault judging.  It seems more and more of the newer judges look
specifically for a fault rather that judge the entire dog based on the
standard.  There is no perfect dog (I don't think), but so often we just look
for something wrong and then begin to judge.  I would look for the attributes
of the all the animals and then watch them move.  It is a movement breed.
Check temperament-soundness, teeth, structure and then move them.  And in
moving look how long can they move?  They must be tireless or what good are
they in herding or police work?