[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: leaving,showing dogs and who hates the other more

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:34:06 EST

Whether or not there is an anti-import faction has little to do with the
loss of specialty interest.  If there is one thing I know for certain about
the
specialty dog game, it is this...  If you show up in the  specialty ring with
a true star, you will get your wins.  In addition to  that, if the dog is
truly exceptional, people at ringside will be falling over  themselves trying
learn who the dog is out of.  While they may be  surprised to learn it is half
import, and while some may  be anti-import to a degree that the reaction may
be disbelief,  there would be no way to deny the dog's quality and there will
be respect for  that.

I have only my perspective to go by as  to who propagates the American/Import
wars.  I've only been on  the American side since the war's beginning so it
shouldn't be difficult to  assume what I see.  I have no interest in fueling
those battles so I only  offer responses based in common sense.  It is no
secret
that anti-American  propaganda exists.  It is propaganda in my eyes strictly
because it is not  true according to the dogs I've lived with and the dogs
I've met.  It does  no good to defend my dogs by saying they are smart, or they
are not spooks,  because the immediate response would be a demand to prove it
by titling the dogs  in a venue that I have no time for, or desire to be a part
of.  It matters  now how long the war goes on or how often I hear the
insults, because I am  content in knowing the truth about my own dogs and about
other
dogs I've  known.  On the other hand ... There is no assumption made about
Imports  where the AKC conformation ring is concerned.  The dogs are judged on
their  structure and movement, so whether or not they are American or Import is
not  even considerable.  If you think you've had a dog that was identified as
 German in the conformation ring, don't make the mistake of thinking that it
lost  because of its heritage.  For years, we saw Imports with roached backs
and  badly constructed forequarters.  It's no one's fault but the folks who
created that problem, that it became an identifying mark for an  import.  It's
been said that Germany is working on that problem now, which  is not only good,
but it is reassurance that we Americans weren't making it up  in the first
place.  If you want to win in the specialty ring, or in any  AKC ring ... breed
dogs that are good enough to win there.  I promise you  that not only does the
judge and most of ringside not care where your dog was  born, but the
recently developing fad of looking for imports to breed to will  leave your dog
well
used.  If you reach that point and still find people  who criticize your dogs
merely because they are imports, I suggest you learn to  ignore them because
they are ignorant and their only accomplishment in  life will be wasting our
good air.
Tom Langlitz

--------
In a message dated 1/4/2005 7:14:52 AM Central Standard Time,
gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx writes:
Tom, you are 1/2 right. The other half is the anti-european  propaganda.
When I got my first dogs for breeding in 1986, we were  thrilled in our
naiveté to buy 2 lovely 1/2 American 1/2 German bitches. They  were and still
are
the best females to ever grace our kennel. One of the girls  had even had a
German breeder buy one of her pups to take back to germany for  their breeding
program.
Well, the  American schutzhund world  despised the American blood, and the
American show world despised the German  blood. We ended up placing their pups
in police and sar, and stopped breeding  them, and did not try to mix American
and European lines again until  recently.
The animosity, bad mouthing, calling each others dogs  trash, from either
side toward the other, was  EQUAL.