[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: leaving,showing dogs and ideas...LONG

  • From: "Donna & Leslie" <onaluzlead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TCYPRESS@xxxxxxx>, <Danannkennel@xxxxxxx>, <f.fasano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:05:40 -0500

I agree with Tom and understand some other points brought up,
however...before we start pointing fingers at handlers...once again my
defenses go up...I want to say a few things...Since our first "handler's
meeting" at the National and most handlers agreed that we had a problem with
declining entries and people coming into the breed; the question was asked
so, where do we start...???George suggested lowering puppy class rates to
help bring entries up...some did some didn't. We were part of the ones who
did...I was against, Leslie was for...I doubted it would change, clients
thanked us, liked it etc...however, did anyone see a great mass of entries
in the puppy classes??? I felt we had the same average of puppy classes
booked with the 45.00 rate as we did the full rate. Some handlers even
charged only 35.00~that was fine for them. Since we solely do this full time
and this is our full income...again I wasn't so sure it was a good idea, on
a business level. On a client relations aspect it was great. This year we
are doing something else...basically as a thank you to long term clients,
and still incorporate a lower puppy rate. However, Leslie hadn't given
herself a raise in over 10 years,...business wise, that's stupid. I did give
her a raise this year, printed out a rate sheet and sent it to our clients
along with our terms of service etc, this way everyone was on the same page.
Our expenses are on the lower side being we show so many dogs usually at an
outing, so I really don't see how we can start on the handler's fault of
decline once again...like Flowerboy said, everything is relative...expenses
on a whole in everyday life are so much higher, so showing dogs back in the
50's and 60's for handler rates and expenses are quite relative to 2005.

I agree with the idea of promotion of our breed and the sport in general and
adding some different non AKC classes to maybe draw the family in...
For one; the AKC rule in not letting Juniors exhibit in Bred By, unless they
bred and own a dog, if the dog is owned and bred by a parent; in my opinion
is STUPID. It has hurt entries too...if they wanted to limit it to NON
PROFESSIONALS they should of just put that in the rules, Plain and Simple. A
lot of people enjoyed that class and then it became a handlers bred by...and
the non professional couldn't enjoy it anymore...but that's the competitive
problem in our sport...we all want to win it all.

The parent club and local club organizations led by breeders, handlers and
people already involved in the sport need to come up with ideas and follow
thru. We ourselves tried to keep the York club going...with no success. Only
a handful of people were willing to come to meetings, do the work and then
follow thru with the plan set forth. What a shame, we had a great bunch of
people but we can only do so much too...and the responsibility that laid on
us was too much with us never being home and others didn't know what to do
because we didn't have someone educated leading the way, only calling with
the should of and would of's. Everyone has busy lives, careers and the
extras sometimes make too much for a busy schedule, but what is funny here,
is...how much time do we all invest in this list, writing, reading and
communicating. Surely with the people on it, instead of pointing fingers we
could come up with a solution. God knows look what we did for Baby
Carter...in record time. So instead of complaining about politics which will
never change, of handlers rates, or of breeders and their practices
etc...why not put forth some Positive suggestions and take the time we put
into this list, which is like a club in itself and maybe put 1/2 of it into
a local club...???

Just a suggestion, any others...???
Best wishes to everyone for a happy, safe and healthy New Year...
Donna Calabrese