[ SHOWGSD-L ] kennel cough

  • From: "Arcturus" <Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 09:06:47 -0500

Okay List,  I need your years of experience here to answer a question.  A
friend of mine  has kennel cough going through her kennel.  Her dogs (Boston
Terriers) have been vaccinated but they are sick nonetheless. It is different
then most kennel cough because the dogs have such snotty noses. They do cough,
but more the problem is sneezing and the snotty nose.  Her vet told her she
probably picked up a virus ( she shows)  that wasn't covered in the vaccine.
They are treating the dogs and puppies by re-vaccinating them (?), and giving
them a decongestant and antibiotics which we know are being used to cover
secondary infections. Now, another Boston breeder told my friend that once you
have kennel cough, you always have it and her puppies will break down with it
when they leave home. Her friend recommends her puppies be treated at 4 weeks
and 6 weeks with the nasal variety of vaccine and then put the pups on
Doxyclycline (sp?) for a few days before they leave. The vet says once the dogs
are thru with the virus they are immune and puppies born later on will not have
anymore chance of getting it then usual.  What do you all say? What do you do
with your puppies? This list is so big and has so many experienced breeders
that I''m glad its here to turn to. Thanks,  Sue Tomlinson