[ SHOWGSD-L ] keeping babies clean the p-nut butter way

  • From: Schipstar@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:45:14 EDT

In a message dated 7/12/2005 8:08:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I am doing like Amy did last week I think it was.  She wants nothing to do
with them.  She will lay in the box and let them nurse, but cleaning them is
TOTAL yucko.  I have put them to her face and had them pee on her, but it just
must be too soon.  Question for my tired, tired mind.  Dr. Miller said every 2
hours they should nurse and pee and poo.  I cannot get them all to poo every
time.  Is this ok?
THANK you ALL for your PRAYERS.  THEY WORKED.  Who wants one?
I'm so glad that they all made it!!  I have more experience with my other
breed in puppy care, etc, but it IS my experience that sometimes for up to a
day
or two after a C-section, a bitch might act this way.  The best thing to do is
not obssess on it, and give her as much time alone with them as possible.
NOW, I may take flak for this (something I'm becoming accustomed to), and it
may sound a bit bizarre, but when I've had a mom who is not interested in
cleaning her babies, I put a little bit of peanut butter on the area needing
cleaning (haven't yet met a dog who didn't like peanut butter) and usually,
they
start licking right away, and that's the beginning of keeping them VERY clean.
If she doesn't like peanut butter, try something else that she likes that is a
little sticky, but I've never had the peanut butter fail.

Keep us posted on their progress, I hope your first born make it okay!

Lynn

Lynn Brown - Ebonystar Schipperkes/Angelsgate Rescue
http://www.angelsgaterescue.com/ & http://www.schipperkerescue.com/
Post Office Box 92283 - Long Beach, CA 90809 (562) 428-9832
...special dogs for special people since 1972