[ SHOWGSD-L ] "just"

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:15:44 EDT

In a message dated 7/8/05 3:33:08 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:
so  why  don't more people prove it instead of just putting on a Ch and then
either  retire the dog from the ring or special  it?

I think that is a reasonable question?  Let me answer it.

I work 12 hours a day, seven days a week. If there is a dog show, I take  off
that day, or half a day if it is in my area. My wife of 40 years washes the
dog, grooms it the day before, then packs up the car, tells me where to go,
(shut up Paul) and I set up the tent, drag over the crates, set up the chairs,
then move them to where she wants them.  ( which seems to always be where I
have not put them).

I sit ringside and talk to anyone who will talk to me, and about half an
hour before the class, I see my wife taking the dog or bitch away, and I wonder

over to ring side when they call the class. Magically my dog or bitch does
show  up with a new long lead, and I go into the ring.  All I do is run, and
the
judge seems to recognize that my dogs do keep up with me.  After I lose, I
take the dog out of the ring and return him/her to my wife, who takes him/her
to  his/her crate. On rare occasions I get drinks for me, my wife and dog, not
in that order.

When the show is over, I take down the tent, drag the crates to the car,
pack up and drive home.  By then I am usually too exhausted to eat, but by  the
next morning I feel well enough to run on the treadmill, work out, eat
breakfast and get to the office in time to see a client or go to court.

I just can't seem to find time in there to go to a herding class to let my
dogs earn a performance degree. It is not that I don't admire the working
ability, I see it every time I look at my dogs. But, while we  both have a
strong
prey drive, I use mine to earn a living.  When a  dog is finished, (not that
common), I always have a puppy or two to start over  with.  They will just have
to find another owner to earn a CD or even a  long playing record.

I do find time in there to do this List every night, ( about two hours),
work out every morning, (about an hour), read two novels each week, (three
hours
a night), and do a magic trick or two now and then. The urgent stuff does get
 done.  I am having trouble finding time for a shower every day, but so far
I have managed to work it out.

Evan

_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together