[ SHOWGSD-L ] jumping and showing

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:12:51 -0700 (PDT)

When I had dogs to show, the last being Liddy, they all showed just fine, for
anyone but me.  Yes, I was the alpha then and now, but that was the only
problem.  Liddy knew her job in the ring, to the point of finishing a round
without her handler who had dropped the lead.  She did not even leave the ring,
she finished her job and set herself up. And got Breed that day, yes an all
breed.
And she will gladly bit to protect me.  She is grateful she does not have to.

I have worked with show dogs in several breeds to make them better dogs at
home.  None has lost because of my training.  And there is a finished
Rottweiler that can only be seen in the ring by the owner with me.  Not the
pros that finished him, now if she wants to see him in the ring and have him be
seen, she turns to me.  No I don't win, I am not the pro handlers, but he gets
more attention in and out of the ring by those looking for a stud than the
pro's dogs.

Training works, this breed of all breeds is beyond smart enough to get the idea
that jumping on MOM is not acceptable and they can still double, if you must,
as if their skin would fall of without MOM touching them.  It is still
training, just like ending the digging.  And this breed of all breeds can learn
to do conformation one day and obedience the next.  They can, if we can, then
go do therapy for the sick and infirm, and then go bite a sleeve with glee.

That is why I will train any breed, but I own, for now at least, GSD's.
sheila