[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: judges being rude

  • From: "Margery Golant" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sally@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:41:35 -0400

This topic struck a nerve for me.  I knew the dog - well.  He was CH.
Covy-Tucker Hill's Monte Alban, UD - a sweet, pleasant dog who Chip Rayner
used to special at all breed shows - probably back in the 80s.  I was
showing a dog at the same time, so often encountered him.  "Monte" loved to
show, loved attention, and was always with his people, the Spencers, at
ringside, well-mannered, intelligent.  We did well in Group competition, may
have gone Best in Show from time to time.  He bloated during one circuit,
and was almost lost.  Fortunately, the shows were not far from the Cornell
University Vet School, and he was gotten there on time.  They managed to
pull him through, and he even returned to the show ring eventually.

Quentin LaHam was a nice man, who had written some books on canine movement.
As was mentioned by several people, he was killed in a car accident.  It is
a bizarre twist to Monte's career, and to Quentin's, that Monte's bones
wound up as a travelling exhibit for Quentin's lectures.  Maybe some will
think me too sensitive, but I thought this utterly nauseating....  I can't
begin to imagine how it came to pass.

Margy Golant