[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: joan and memories/ Getting up there

  • From: Michael Lynch <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:34:38 -0700 (PDT)

Diane,

Thank you for you kind words. Joan was a remarkable
woman. A few years back when I worked for Brenda
Combs, I drove the rig to somewhere in the midwest,
(Think it was ohio) she was flying in from Texas from
a Bichon Specialty. I arrived at the hotel late that
night around 11, and of course, when 2 people are
there, its easier to set up pens, ex dogs, get luggage
in. On this occassion, I was alone. I got the pens set
up, started putting out dogs and wanted to try to get
the luggage in the room (It was already close to
11:30pm and of course, the dog show day starts at
5am).  When I realized I had a problem of keeping my
eyes on the dogs and checking in, Up walks this very
nice woman and offers "I will be more than happy to
watch your pens while you take your luggage upstairs".
She had no dog, just an "angel of mercy". I hesistated
by then she flashed a smile to let me know it was ok.
Two trips upstairs I come back, she is cooing and
petting the standard schauzer, and I thank her and she
leaves. As She starts to go, I say, "Ma'am I am sorry,
I didnt catch your name.. She Turns and says, "im Joan
Ford, and you are??" I was floored! But that's the
type of woman she was, without pretention, willing to
help anyone that needed and never knew a stranger.

There are so many people who helped me out along the
way. Diane was one of them and so was Sheree Moses.
Rosemarie Davis played an integral part in my success
in giving me my start. Actually, Diane, It may have
been a contest to whom I bugged more, You or Sharon
Allbright! She would also listen to my endless teenage
banter about dogs and what she thought of... etc.
Sheree Moses was also patient and teaching. I well
remember the days of sitting at her home and devouring
her GSD Reviews as if they were the holy grail.  You
will have to ask sharon allbright about our first
meeting and the things that came out of my "teenage"
mouth! (I still get embarrased at that).

Of course there were very kind people at the shows who
encouraged. Mr. Bart Bartley gave me a handling lesson
and grooming lesson at the Texas shows some years
back. Luckily, I was smart enough to listen to him and
he loved to talked dogs. (I love it when those
breeders and handlers who have been there and done
that hold court, one can learn so much). They may not
realize it then but they are making and shaping the
future of this breed by their kindness.

Nowadays, I have a young man who works for me, about
14 and also a young african american kid (some of you
have seen him at the shows from time to time) his name
is Ramey Smith Lewis. I see soo much of myself in him
at that age its not funny. Endless questions, wanting
to know about this, and "why is this..like that?" I
can almost hear myself saying, Kid you are a pain in
the butt!!!! (but then I realize so was I!)

What fond memories of Joan and all my mentors I have
to day.

Michael Lynch
BlackHawk Farms,LLC
www.Blackhawk-farms.com