[ SHOWGSD-L ] joan and memories

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:28:15 EDT

i'm thinking about gary's post - thinking about how every year more and more
of the pillars of this breed are leaving us and how sad it is that we often
neglect to tell people how much they've meant to us.  i don't want to fall into
that trap so here are some thanks that i KNOW i owe....
judy ecklund - judy was my mentor, my teacher, my sounding board ... a total
gift to me when i started out in the breed almost 25 years ago.  her knowledge
is amazing and her willingness to share that knowledge is even moreso.
rosemarie davis - there is no way i could ever thank you enough for my
foundation bitch, sirca ROM, the light of my life for just short of 14 years.
helen franklin - for all the support and trust and for introducing me to...
gail sprock - it took me a number of years to learn the lesson but i suppose
better late than never holds true here.  gail has always been a class act and
her treatment of my dogs spoke volumes - they adored her.
there are so many others - including joan - who were always willing to talk
dogs and share.  sometimes we do forget that we are just a group of people with
a common interest - we all have feelings and should be more gentle with each
other.

when i feel like i'm getting jaded and don't want to be bothered with someone
or something, i think of one person in particular - mike lynch.  mike was a
kid in his mid-teens when he first contacted me.he had met sheree moses when
she was living in alabama and showing one of my don quixote/sirca daughters.
well, mike called, and called, and CALLED.  i finally told him he was probably
the world's biggest pain in my butt!  he asked more questions than i thought
could have existed.  we lost touch after a few years so imagine my shock when i
got an email from the "kid" last year - only to find that he's now a
practicing audiologist, a horse trainer and judge and has become one hell of a
handler
at the all breed shows!  he hadn't forgotten one conversation we'd ever had,
knew all his pedigrees back 20+ years, had learned this breed inside and out.
i'm so amazed at and proud of what he's accomplished - a constant reminder to
me that when one has a passion for this breed, it MUST be nurtured.  thinking
of joan today, i'm reminded of the same thing.
diane

Diane Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
"In dog years I'm dead." - Author unknown

<BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free email to
everyone.